David Foster Wallace Wiki: Infinite Jest
To become a contributor/editor, Create an account.
Infinite Jest: Storyboards
Aaron Buchwald created the storyboards for himself as an aid to understanding the book. Thankfully, he decided to post the storyboards online so others could benefit from his efforts. Check them out here »
Infinite Atlas Google Maps meets Infinite Jest
The Infinite Atlas Project is an independent research and art project seeking to identify, place and describe every possible location in David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. "Infinite Atlas" a Google Maps-based guide to 600+ global locations described in Infinite Jest is just one part of the project. Check it out here »
Infinite Jest Character Diagram
Sam Potts created an amazing diagram that includes pretty much every character in IJ and their connections. In researching this, Sam tapped the knowledge of a number of IJ experts. Every fan of IJ simply must have this! It's 3' wide by 2' and you can check it out here »
The Pale King
David Foster Wallace's unfinished posthumous novel was published on April 15, 2011. You can learn more about it on Wikipedia.
This is the Wiki for David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest, published in 1996 by Little Brown. Besides using the page-by-page annotation, you can also read the reviews, or provide insights or observations.
Special thanks to Andrew E. Mathis whose own IJ wiki was folded into this one. Andrew's content gave the page-by-page annotations a great kickstart. And to Erik Ketzan whose encouragement and prodding was instrumental in getting this all together. Erik runs his own excellent Literary Wiki website.
How to Use this Wiki
The Spoiler-Free Annotations by Page allows the reader to look up and contribute allusions and references while reading the book, in a convenient and spoiler-free manner.
Apart from that, it's up to you.
Page by Page Annotations
An alternate form of commentary on the text. The guiding principle of these annotations is to remain spoiler-free, so that readers can follow along without the fear that later parts of the book will be revealed..
Wallace Wiki Help and Contributor Guidelines
Click here for help with editing and creating pages.
We have a few conventions we ask that you follow:
- When creating a new page, first check to make sure a page/article about what you want to write about hasn't already been created, by checking the list of all Wiki pages on the Infinite Jest wiki. If a page already exists, please modify that one.
- To open a discussion on an individual listing of the Alpha Index or Page by Page Annotations, give it a name that identifies the alpha listing (eg [[Discussion Subject|'''DISCUSSION''']]) and notice that the visible name will be "DISCUSSION" in bold and full caps, so it stands out a bit.
- Wikipedia on Infinite Jest
- Wikipedia on David Foster Wallace
- The Howling Fantods - Nick Maniatis' great DFW website
- "Unofficial" DFW website
- Steve Moore's Notes on "The First Draft Version of Infinite Jest
- Bookworm Interview with Michael Silverblatt, April 11, 1996
- Charlie Rose Interview with DFW (Video), Mar 27, 1997
- New York Times Obituary, Sept 14, 2008
- Music video based on the Eschaton scene
- Thomas Pynchon Wiki
- Incandenza Filmography interpretations and other Infinite Jest-inspired works online: "Infinite Jest IV", "Zero Gravity Tea Ceremony", "The Medusa v. The Odalisque", "The Cold Majesty of the Numb", "Good-Looking Men In Small Clever Rooms That Utilize Every Centimeter Of Available Space With Mind-Boggling Efficiency", "Cage - Planar Version", "The Exhibit and the Cage", "Après-Garde Film", "For Infinite Jest", "Sixty Minutes More or Less with Madame Psychosis", "Hal at Age 4", "Poor Yorick Entertainment" poster art
Featured ArticlesDavid Foster Wallace: His Secret Life As a Philosopher Interesting article by Moira G. Weigel: "A new book from Columbia University Press reveals what his mentors and friends had long known: Wallace was also a talented philosopher."
If you missed David Lipsky's excellent and sad "The Lost Years & Last Days of David Foster Wallace", which appeared in Rolling Stone in the Oct 2008 issue, and used to be available online, it's too late. However, Mr Lipsky has a new book out, a memoire about his time spent with DFW, Although of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself: A Road Trip with David Foster Wallace.You can read The Atlantic magazine review.
New York Magazine: Great long article on the friendship of Wallace, Jonathan Franzen and Jeffrey Eugenides that began in the mid-1990s.
A lovely remembrance by Laura Miller on Salon.com »
Interview with DFW Book Club Founder, Peter Merriman
GalleryBelow are some of the images you will find on this Wiki.
22:13, 11 March 2019
Toque William Orpen.jpg
01:01, 1 November 2018
00:35, 29 September 2015
David Foster Wallace.jpg
17:08, 2 July 2015
Francis bacon head VI.jpg
01:15, 4 September 2014
06:50, 7 November 2013
15:39, 27 September 2013
14:54, 24 September 2013
18:23, 29 August 2012
Single-edged Razor Bla...
20:45, 27 August 2012
15:15, 27 August 2012
Sunbather with Sombrer...
14:33, 27 August 2012
Sombrero with Dingle B...
14:33, 27 August 2012
17:24, 24 August 2012
16:17, 24 August 2012
16:10, 24 August 2012
20:11, 23 August 2012
19:49, 23 August 2012
18:59, 23 August 2012
17:00, 23 August 2012
16:44, 23 August 2012
19:59, 22 August 2012
13:47, 22 August 2012
21:06, 21 August 2012
20:59, 21 August 2012
20:36, 21 August 2012
Bohr Coat of Arms.png
14:14, 21 August 2012
21:06, 20 August 2012
15:43, 17 August 2012
19:47, 15 August 2012
19:29, 15 August 2012
19:22, 15 August 2012
00:09, 29 July 2012
Margaret Thatcher crop...
22:45, 28 July 2012
15:19, 24 July 2012
File-Paul Gauguin 106.jpg
15:11, 24 July 2012
03:41, 26 June 2012
23:50, 11 August 2010
05:32, 10 August 2010
05:32, 10 August 2010
05:31, 10 August 2010
Fritz lang directing m...
01:25, 9 July 2010
00:06, 24 August 2009
01:04, 14 July 2009